1987 Fun Facts
How many of these do you remember from 30 years ago?
- Ronald Reagan made his famous speech, “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.” The Berlin wall, that was.
- The world population was estimated to be just over 5 billion. It is over 7.3 billion now.
- Popular Movies: Fatal Attraction, Moonstruck, Wall Street, The Last Emperor
- The unemployment rate was 6.2%.
- A first class postage stamp was 22 cents. The average increase in price has been less than 2.5% over the 30 years.
- Record of the Year: Higher Love by Steve Winwood.
- The New York Giants beat the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXI -Phil Simms was the Giants’ quarterback.
- The Minnesota Twins beat the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series – It was the first World Series with a game played indoors.
- The Indiana Hoosiers beat the Syracuse Orangemen by one point in the men’s NCAA basketball championship.
- The #2 ranked Miami Hurricanes won college football’s national championship in the Orange Bowl against number 1 ranked Oklahoma.
- October 19 was the infamous Black Monday on Wall Street. The market tumbled 508 points to 1,738.74. It took less than two years for the market to fully recover.
- The prime interest rate ranged from 7.75% to 9.25%. Wouldn’t those be nice rates to earn on your bank deposits these days?
- Big Year at the Oscar Awards: Platoon – Best Picture, Marlee Matlin – Best Actress, Paul Newman – Best Actor, Michael Caine – Best Supporting Actor, Woody Allen – Best Original Screenplay, Herbie Hancock – Best Original Score … Holy smokes!!!
- A gallon of gas ranged from 82 cents to 96 cents.
- A dozen eggs ranged from a high of 86 cents to a low of 71 cents.
- A new Ford Escort sold for $6,895.
Please note that these have been identified on two different sources, but are not to be relied on as 100% accurate.